By Karen Hanson
- 2 lbs. beef stew meat, cut into 1 – 1 1/2 inch pieces (chuck roast works really well)
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 10 1/2 oz. can condensed French onion soup
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
Cook bacon in stockpot over medium heat until crisp; remove with slotted spoon to paper-towel-lined plate. Brown 1/2 of beef in bacon drippings over medium heat; remove from stockpot. Repeat with remaining beef; season with salt and pepper.
Return beef and bacon to stockpot. Add soup and cider; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 3/4 hours.
Add sweet potatoes and cranberries to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; continue simmering, covered, 20 to 30 minutes or until beef and potatoes are fork-tender.
Want to learn more about beef? Visit these pages:
Looking for tasty beef recipes? Try these!