By Chef Alli
- 16-18 uncooked jumbo pasta shells, cooked until al dente, according to package directions, drained
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 Tbs. dehydrated onion flakes
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided use
- Optional toppings: hamburger dill pickle slices, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, thinly sliced red onion
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook beef and onion until beef is no longer pink, 8-10 minutes, crumbling the beef as it cooks; drain well; season to taste with kosher salt.
To prepare the cheeseburger filling, stir in the tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard and black pepper until nicely blended; stir in 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
Spoon approximately 2 tablespoons of the prepared cheeseburger filling into each cooked pasta shell, placing each one into a greased 11”x 7” baking dish. Cover the baking dish tightly with foil.
Bake, covered, on the center rack of the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
At the last five minutes of the baking time, remove the foil and sprinkle the pasta with the remaining cheese; continue to bake until the cheese is nicely melted and the casserole is bubbly and hot throughout, or until an instant-read meat thermometer registers 160-165 degrees F. at the center of the casserole.
Garnish with your desired optional cheeseburger toppings and serve at once.