For the Dough
For the Icing
Combine 1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar, 1 tablespoon melted butter, ¼ teaspoon vanilla, almond, or lemon extract, and enough milk to make a drizzling consistency (about 5 teaspoons).
- ½ cup granulated sugar mixed with 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon.
- Roll 1¾ pounds of dough into a 20" x 8" rectangle. Brush with ¼ cup softened butter. Sprinkle with mixture of ¼ cup granulated sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Roll dough up from the long side and pinch seam. Place sealed edge down on greased baking sheet, forming a circle. Even up roll by stretching the dough slightly; seal ends.
- Using scissors, make cuts ¾" wide, cutting almost through dough. Turn each slice on its side, placing every other slice to the center of the tea ring.
- Cover; let rise until doubled. Bake at 350°F, 23-25 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on rack. Decorate with icing, maraschino cherries and pecan halves. Tip: For pink icing, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and maraschino cherry juice.
This recipe was orginally shared at the 2018 Kansas State Fair by Melanie, a farm wife from western Kansas who loves to bake.