By Chef Alli
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes, with juice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whipping cream cream
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Croutons, for garnishing soup
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, then add the onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes; cook for approximately five minutes, or until the onions are softened.
Add the crushed tomatoes and chicken broth; bring to a high simmer, then reduce the heat and cook the soup for 10 minutes. Using an immersion blender, process the soup until mostly smooth.
Stir in the whipping cream; season to taste with salt and pepper and serve at once, garnished with croutons.