By Chef Alli
- 3 lbs. Granny Smith apples, peeled and quartered, seeds removed
- 3 lbs. McIntosh or Jonathon apples, peeled and quartered, seeds removed
- Zest and juice from 2 large navel oranges
- Zest and juice from 1 large lemon
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter (½ cup)
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground allspice
- baby pumpkins, tops cut off, seeds and pulp scraped out
In a large Dutch oven or stock pot, place prepared apples, juice and zest of lemon and oranges, sugar, cinnamon and allspice; cover pot and place into a preheated 350 degree F. oven. Bake for 1 – 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally, until apples are soft. Mash with a potato masher or immersion blender to desired smoothness.
Place pumpkins onto a greased parchment-lined baking sheet and season with a bit of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Fill with prepared applesauce; place tops back on pumpkins. Bake, uncovered, in preheated 350 degree oven for 45-55 minutes, or until pumpkins are tender but not mushy.
This recipe is adapted from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook and makes about 2 quarts of applesauce, enough to fill 20-24 baby pumpkins, with a little left over.