By Chef Alli
- 1 lb. freshly made or packaged gnocchi (typically found in the pasta aisle at your local grocer)
- 1-2 Tbs. good olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 lb. Italian sausage
- 4 oz. mini pepperonis
- 14 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 8 oz. can roasted garlic tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz. block mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1-2 Tbs. fresh Italian parsley and fresh basil, as garnish
In a large, heavy skillet over medium high heat, add a good swish of olive oil; when oil is nicely hot, add gnocchi to pan and let it sit for a minute or two to become golden brown on the bottom. Flip gnocchi over and cook until this side is golden brown; remove gnocchi from the pan and reserve.
Add Italian sausage to the skillet and cook until no pink remains and sausage is fully cooked throughout; drain any fats. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, and Italian seasoning to the sausage in the skillet; bring to a nice simmer.
Return the reserved gnocchi to the skillet. Stir in the cream and pepperoni (reserve a few pepperoni, if possible) and simmer a few minutes more. Top with mozzarella cheese and place under a preheated broiler for just a few minutes until golden brown on top. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and basil, along with a few mini pepperoni for garnish.