By Kansas Living on August 25, 2016
Your kids can create their own Halloween decorations with these cute and simple Halloween votive candles. To ensure this project is kid-safe, use battery-powered LED tea lights found at craft and discount stores. A pumpkin votive is shown here, but you can use other materials to make monsters, mummies or any creature your kids can imagine!
You Will Need:
- One mini glass Mason jar (or flat-sided jar)
- One sheet of orange tissue paper
- Two googly eyes
- Mod Podge glue
- Sponge brush
- Colorful ribbon
- LED tea light
- Sharpie (optional)
- Take one sheet of orange tissue paper and shred into small pieces. Set aside.
- Using a sponge brush, paint Mod Podge over the glass jar and then cover with the shredded tisue paper.
- Take two googly eyes and glue on the jar with Mod Podge. You can also use a black marker to make a mouth.
- Cut a strip of ribbon about 20 inches long and tie a bow around the lid. Cut off excess.
- When dry, turn on the LED light and place inside. See how it glows? Enjoy!
- To make a monster: Use green or purple tissue paper instead of orange.
- To make a mummy: Use strips of white gauze (cut in pieces or wrapped around the jar).